My name is Jason Scherer. I am a test engineer and LabVIEW developer currently working for Moog Inc. in Blacksburg, Virginia. I believe in learning and implementing best practices in industry to do a job right.
Life is changing at a rate like never before. I want to be prepared to face the challenges this new world will bring.
Did You Know (2018)
We Live in Exponential Times.
Katy Scott's 2018 Remix of Shift Happens shows the data revolution's impact on our lives. How do you prepare people for a world where what you learn during a four year degree is obsolete in 8 years?
Humans Need Not Apply (2014)
Better Technology Makes Better Jobs for Horses?
CGP Grey's 2014 Humans Need Not Apply argues we will soon live in a world where humans, through no fault of their own, will be unable to meaningfully participate in the economy. What do can we do to prepare for a future where Humans Need Not Apply?
The Rise of the Machines (2017)
Why Automation is Different This Time.
Kurzgesagt - In a Nutshell provides an updated look at automation technology. Although technology creates jobs, the number of new opportunities pale compared to the jobs under threat. What was technology doing in your workplace five years ago? What is it doing today?
Dr. Mehdi Ahmadian
"Jason worked with a great deal of passion and creativity on the projects that we assigned to him at the Center for Vehicle Systems and Safety, during his research internship. He showed a great deal of initiative and ability to think outside of the box. I was impressed by his willingness to learn and keep up with the more senior graduate students that we have at the lab."
Dr. Kevin Kochersberger
"Jason set himself apart from his peers in senior design as the go-to person to solve challenging problems that were in the critical path of project success."
Test Engineer: 2017 -
Lead Software Developer: (Industrial Sector)
• Implemented monthly design meetings to coordinate developer efforts
• Developed LabVIEW training and certification program for new hires
• Oversaw Source Code Control integration with LabVIEW
• Interviewed floor management and test operators to define system requirements
Lead Software Developer: (Industrial Sector)
• Redesigned industrial test software to follow Object Oriented design principles
• Automated ITAR compliant report generation for foreign customers
• Restructured LabVIEW code base increasing operator efficiency by 15%
Software Developer: (Aerospace and Defense Sector)
• Implimented SQL to redesign statistical process control methods
• Created SOLID, modular code base to reduce developer overhead
• Leveraged C++ libraries to significantly improve testing fidelity
• Designed, modeled, and constructed slip ring test equipment
• Conducted live equipment demos for upper management and foreign clients
• Selected and implemented forward compatible solutions to replace end of life components
Mechanical Engineer: 2016 - 2017
• Served as a main point of contact for customers from system ordering to commissioning.
• Responsible for onsite installation and repair of systems worldwide
• Selected materials and manufacturing processes to solve problems such as RF shielding, thermal
management, design for durability, design for manufacture and design for maintenance.
Mechanical Designer: Probe Stations
• Designed, assembled, and provided onsite customer training for mainline systems
• Co-designed Probe Stations with temperature capabilities of 4.2K, 32K, 270K, 400K, and, 900K
• Served multiple clients in the US, Europe, Israel, and Asia
• Coordinated development efforts with multiple subcontractors
• Personally developed LabVIEW code for new company and vendor hardware
• Identified, and recruited undergraduate students for company's 1st internship program
• Managed workload and task distribution among 4 undergraduate interns
Center for Vehicle and Systems Safety (CVeSS)
Undergraduate Research: 2013 - 2015
• Conducted heat transfer analysis for 3 phase power systems
• Modeled various, custom components with Autodesk Inventor for manufacturing
• Conducted cost and interface analysis for systems integration
• Worked as team member with combined academic/industry professionals
I have multiple skills that I am able to bring to the table
LabVIEW Certified Developer (CLD)
The Certified LabVIEW Developer Certification indicates the ability to design and develop functional programs while minimizing development time and ensuring maintainability through proper documentation and style. You can use this certification to assess and validate an individual’s LabVIEW development skills for the purpose of project staffing or career advancement. For example, having Certified LabVIEW Developers on staff to provide technical leadership and guidance ensures that less experienced developers are following best practices to make them more competent and efficient developers.
Engineer in Training (EIT)
Virginia DPOR / NCEES 2018
The NCEES has a goal of providing “leadership in professional licensure of engineers and surveyors through excellence in uniform laws, licensing standards, and professional ethics for the protection of the public health, safety, and welfare and to shape the future of professional licensure.” All engineers in the United States collectively share this vision in hopes of providing quality, safe, and efficient products and services to the general public.
Masters in Business Administration (MBA)
Bachelors of Science in Mechanical Engineering
2015 GPA: 3.0